"Lo, Children Are An Heritage of the LORD: and the Fruit of the Womb is His Reward" - Psalm 127:3

Tuesday, May 5, 2009

A New Blankie

I did a little sewing today and made our 5 month old a new blankie. I knew he would like it because he always picks up his stuffed animals by the tags. But he loves it even more than I expected. He hasn't put it down yet. This was very easy to make. I just bought a quarter yard of each of two fabrics - super soft blue and brown dots and stripes, then sewed one long seam to join the two pieces together. Then I cut the piece in quarters and matched them together for front and back pieces. So, the front and back side of the blanket are identical. I bought one yard each of 10 different ribbons, but had way more than I needed. It was a little more time consuming than I expected because I had to pin all the ribbons in place before sewing, and typically I don't use pins much at all. But even with that, I had this done in less than an hour. It was well worth the time. It's worth it to get a smile like this, don't you think?
And as for that pincushion contest...
Well, I didn't win. As you can see, the chicken put me out to roost. Oh well, I still ended up with a $5 store credit, and I really like my little hedgehog, which did manage to come in second. I'm considering putting him on a wristband. Ironically, I nearly made a chicken pincushion out of this same pattern. I was going to use a fabric that had chicken wire print. I ultimately decided the hedgehog would be cuter, and I'm really not a chicken person anyway. I would have lost either way though, because it wouldn't have occurred to me to use beads or to put him on a nest. The one that won is very clever. Anyway, next month the contest is on aprons, so I'm trying to figure out what I want to make for that. If nothing else, these contests sure help me get projects finished, and at $5 an entry, I'll soon have enough for a pattern book I've had my eye on.

No comments:

Post a Comment