"Lo, Children Are An Heritage of the LORD: and the Fruit of the Womb is His Reward" - Psalm 127:3

Thursday, June 24, 2010

Everybody Needs to Read This Book!


I'm not exaggerating one bit when I say EVERYBODY needs to read this book! Do Hard Things is written by homeschooled twin teenage brothers Alex and Brett Harris. It is written to other teens, but I can't begin to tell you how much I got out of this book. The basic premise is that teens (or us old people - ha) ought to do things outside of our comfort zone to stretch us and make us accomplish a lot more than we think we can for the Lord. They call their movement the "rebelution", rebelling against the idea that teen years are for wasting.

I originally purchased this book with my own teens in mind, but wanted to read it for myself. Wow. I've never been so motivated by a book (other than the Bible) in my life! I have thought of several things I could do better, or attempt that I have always figured were too hard, or that I didn't feel like trying because it would take too much effort. What a great book. You probably can't tell that I'm really impressed with this book, huh? Just read it. You'll see what I mean.

Just so you can get an idea how motivating this book has been to me, here is my own list of hard things I would like to do...
  1. Write at least one book for the Lord
  2. Write an autobiography Laura Ingalls style
  3. - Get a bachelor's degree ... just for the fun of it
  4. - Complete XXXXX in time for Christmas for Mom
  5. Learn to drape garments (a sewing technique)
  6. Design my own clothing (just for myself personally)
  7. Improve my sewing & quilting skills
  8. Learn to use my serger
  9. Learn to machine quilt well
  10. Learn to knit
  11. Completely organize our garage storage/store less
  12. - Weigh less than 175
  13. - Be consistently organized
  14. - Get in the habit of having nothing out but what I'm currently working on
  15. - Play every hymn in the hymn book well enough for church requests
  16. - Be consistent in devotions
  17. - Read through the Bible every year at least once without fail
  18. - Complete an in-depth study of one book of the Bible each year - RA Torrey style
  19. Whatever you're doing, be ALL there
  20. - Teach preschool in my daycare consistently every single weekday
  21. - Walk every single day (treadmill or outside)
  22. Read through the Bible and through HA Ironside's commentaries concurrently
  23. Create and market my own preschool curriculum? (not sure I want to do this yet)


The items with a dash in front of them are the things I am currently actively working on. I've come up with a very motivating method of getting a lot accomplished, which I will share tomorrow.

1 comment: