"Lo, Children Are An Heritage of the LORD: and the Fruit of the Womb is His Reward" - Psalm 127:3

Friday, August 10, 2012

The Kaleidoscope Quilt (and My Only Daughter) Head Off to College

 I got the quilt back from the long arm quilter the Tuesday afternoon before we had to leave to take my daughter to Colorado to head to the airport on Friday, July 27th.  She stayed with my Mom and my Mom and sister took her to the airport on the first. More about that trip in a later post... 

Anyway, you see my fancy clips here - clothespins.  I have some of those hair clip looking things that are so popular among quilters.  I even bought the ones at a quilt shop instead of Walmart's hair aisle, thinking they would probably be stronger and larger.  Well, come time to put the binding on the quilt... I couldn't find them.  And I didn't have time to look very long.  I had to get moving on this project so she could pack it.  I tried the clothespins for about 15 minutes.  Then I decided it would be much better if I could just fold over as I went along.  It worked so much better.


 So here's my college freshman, posing with her new quilt.

 She didn't want a border, so I had to attach one for the quilter, then take it off and put the binding on without it.

I can't believe how hard it is to get a good picture of a quilt.  They just look so much more amazing in person.  Oh well.  She is thrilled, I am thrilled.  I love this pattern, and would do it again, but next time, I would use solids in place of the green - and definitely more contrast.  She didn't want that, so this was perfect.


 We decided on a color blocked back.  She wanted something very basic and simple.  I think it came out really well.

 Here is a close-up of the quilting.  The quilter did flowers and leaves, as we requested.  She did a very nice job.  I just wish the quilting had been a little closer together. But no problem.  We love it.
\
I don't know why I didn't think to lay this out on a bed before we left.  My sister sent me this picture taken with her phone when she stopped by Mom's to visit her and found the quilt on the bed she was using ;)  The colors are much more accurate in this picture than in the others, where they look sort of dull.

No comments:

Post a Comment