"Lo, Children Are An Heritage of the LORD: and the Fruit of the Womb is His Reward" - Psalm 127:3

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Halfway Successful & Thread I Will Never Use Again

Okay, so as I said in my last post, I had big sewing plans. I only got half of them done. Oh well. There's always tomorrow (do I sound like Scarlett O'Hara? ha). Anyway, I got the patches sewn on my son's uniforms - that was a must-do. And I got the October Birdie Stitches block embroidered. We had a big power outage last evening, and today I woke up with a horrible pain in my back/shoulder - one of those pinched nerves that makes it hurt to lift your arm ... or sneeze ... ouch!

I didn't take a picture of the uniforms. They're not all that exciting, and I'm sure you all have seen patches sewn on uniforms before - lol. So here's the October block.

The thread I used for the moon was a super-glossy 100% rayon thread. I saw it in Michael's when we were in Colorado visiting my Mom and sister over Labor Day weekend and thought it was beautiful. It was more expensive than the other thread, and they only had a very limited color selection so I only bought one skein in a buttery yellow color. I'm so glad I only bought one. This stuff is a nightmare to work with. It breaks easily, tangles easily, and separates when you don't want it to. Because it is slick, the individual threads won't cling together. I almost ripped out what I had started and went with something else because this was such a pain. I will never use this thread again!

I've finished a couple different blocks since I last blogged about them. I think this is the May block. I had a lot of fun picking out the bright colors for this one. Remember, I just found this project in August, so I've been working to catch up on all the blocks. The only ones I still have to do now are March and June. I completely changed June, as it was just text and I didn't want that. You'll have to wait to see that one. I'm going to do the March block first.

Here's a closer view.

This is the April block. I edited it to include the crosses, and I took the Easter eggs off the tree and the bird. The true reason for Easter just means too much to me to cheapen it with eggs and bunnies. (I wasn't offended by the other one, just didn't think it was for me.) I'm thinking I need to add something to the bird, but I'm not sure what. I don't want to put a cross on it ... too irreverent, it seems. Maybe I will add the Christian fish symbol to the bird's chest. I haven't decided. Nothing wrong with leaving it somber as it is.

Speaking of last night's power outage, we are in the middle of a mission's conference at church, and had our meeting last night by candle light with the help of a camp lantern. It was a neat service. The message was on having Christ's vision for the world - seeing people as He sees them. It wasn't planned that way, but it worked perfectly to have the power outage as emphasis. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment