"Lo, Children Are An Heritage of the LORD: and the Fruit of the Womb is His Reward" - Psalm 127:3

Wednesday, December 4, 2013

My Grandma's Quilt

 I was so happy when my mom decided to give me a quilt her mother had made.  It doesn't fit any of the beds at her house, but I never dreamed it would fit my king size bed.  I think it was probably meant for a queen, but it works pretty well for the king.  It's definitely long enough.  It was made back in the day when people rolled their pillows in their quilt, so it's extra long.  It drags the floor a bit at the foot.  The only place it isn't quite as big as a king would be are on the sides.  But I'm not picky. I love it.

It is entirely done by hand - embroidered motifs, hand pieced and hand quilted.  I can't imagine how many hours she must have put into this quilt.  And knowing my grandmother, I'm sure she made one for each of her five kids. I remember one year for Christmas she gave each of her grandkids a crocheted afghan.  At the time she would have had 9 grandchildren. All of them were different, suited to each child.  Mine was a ripple pattern done in varying shades of purple - a color I was so in love with that the carpet in my room was purple when I was a teen.  I still have the afghan.

No comments:

Post a Comment