"Lo, Children Are An Heritage of the LORD: and the Fruit of the Womb is His Reward" - Psalm 127:3

Friday, January 8, 2010

A Sewing Adventure

Well, for the first time in my life, I'm on a little sewing adventure in a hotel near Hill AFB in Ogden, Utah. My son has his first weekend of Air Force Reserve training, so I tagged along. Okay that sounds a lot worse than it is. You have to understand that last month, exactly one week before Christmas, he did this to my car:


We are soooo thankful to God that he wasn't injured and nobody else was either. Unfortunately we only had liability coverage on the car, which means we were short a vehicle. Thankfully, my inlaws loaned us "old blue" - the most faithful and well-loved truck ever...

We love this truck and are very grateful to have the use of it. It does present a few challenges though. For one thing, it won't seat our family of 6. Thankfully we have a big Ford Excursion which we love, so this has been a great second vehicle - especially to get my husband back and forth to work. However, my son needed to get to Hill AFB, which is nearly a 500 mile round trip. That would have been difficult in old blue, which lacks power steering and sucks gas. And, do you think I was going to give him the use of our only remaining vehicle? NOT. So, I tagged along (or should I say drove?) In my defense, I am staying completely out of his way, letting him do as he pleases, and happily sewing away in a hotel off base. I gave him the use of the Excursion on base, so nobody has to know I'm tucked away, happily pinning, cutting, basting and stitching.

I'm determined to finish a project or two for me this weekend. I've been wanting to do more personal clothing sewing, so this is my weekend for that. Actually, I couldn't decide what I wanted to work on, so I brought way more projects than I would have time to complete in a month!!! But hey, at least I have options, right?

So far about all I've managed to make is a huge mess. I have come to realize though that what I thought was going to be a full 2 1/2 days of sewing will more likely be 1 full day, plus a couple hours. We didn't get checked into the hotel until late, then had dinner and did some shopping. I only had about an hour to do any layout and cutting before bed. I almost have one shirt entirely cut out though, so I'm anxious to start sewing tomorrow. Then Sunday, I will have to check out early so I'll have to wander around town until he's done at 5. Maybe I'll find a Barnes and Noble or a Starbucks and work on some hand embroidery projects I brought along.....

No comments:

Post a Comment