"Lo, Children Are An Heritage of the LORD: and the Fruit of the Womb is His Reward" - Psalm 127:3

Tuesday, September 9, 2014

July and August Reading

Well, I really missed the bus with the reading record.  I just realized that I didn't do a post for my July reading.  So we'll start with that, then move on to August.

We've had a crazy busy summer, so I really didn't get much time to read.  Only two books in July - and they were among the best and worst I've read in a long time.  The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon was SO WELL WRITTEN.  I loved this book.  I think I marked more passages and copied more quotes from this book than I have in more than a year.  Excellent writing.  On the other hand, Still Life with Bread Crumbs by Anna Quindlen was a complete waste of time.

So here are my stats:
What I Read:
1. The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon
2. Still Life With Bread Crumbs by Anna Quindlen

Total books - 2
Total pages - 738
Total inches - 2.75

Year to Date totals - 
Total books - 45
Total pages - 12,294
Total inches - 50

Now lets talk about August -
Still a very busy month, but much more reading...

What I read:
1. Miss Buncle Married by D.E. Stevenson - this was a followup to a book I read last year and loved (Miss Buncle's Book).  They were written in the 1930's.  I loved the first book, but this one was a bit of a let-down. I still really liked the book, but the first one was much better. The fun thing about this one was that my daughter also read both the first and second book, so we were able to discuss them.
2. One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez - I was surprised that I really didn't care for this one at all.  This was the book of the month for my evening book club, in which we choose books from different countries - by authors writing about their native countries, sometimes fiction, sometimes non-fiction.  We work our way through the continents and then go back through them in the same order.  This is our third time through Central and South America, and I haven't really loved any of the books from the region.  (The first one grew on me after the fact, but I hated it at the time).  Anyway, I don't like this one because there isn't a clear line between reality and otherworldliness, if that makes any sense.
3. Out Stealing Horses by Per Petterson - Now this one I loved.  It is set in Norway and I haven't read much from there, so it was neat to see a picture of life from up there (and ironically this one was for the daytime club which doesn't concern itself with locations - we just pick something that sounds good.  We've just started drawing names and letting that person choose the book for us.)
4. A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman - Another one I loved.  The person who picked our daytime book club book (see #3) also suggested this one.  It is set in Sweden - which was a cool followup to the one in Norway - and it was very well done.

Month totals:
Total Books - 4
Total Pages - 1,400
Total Inches - 5.5

Year to Date Totals -
Total Books - 49
Total Page - 13,694
Total Inches - 55.5

No comments:

Post a Comment