"Lo, Children Are An Heritage of the LORD: and the Fruit of the Womb is His Reward" - Psalm 127:3

Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Family Ties :)

 Tonight the eight year old and I did a little knot-tying project.  He's been driving me nuts with the ball of string I bought for him to use to make his reed boat for homeschool, so I figured a constructive use of the string was in order.  You know.  Something other than making a massive spiderweb in his room.

We made a couple of plant hangers.  (He took most of these pictures).

He did all the cutting, held the end while I tied knots, then helped get the plants into them and hang them up.

We had to take this one down a couple times and re-adjust our knots.  This was our first attempt, and it's still lop-sided, but it keeps the plant of the counter, which is what I was wanting.

 This was the end result on the first attempt.  you have to look kind of close to see where the strings are, since this pot has markings on the side which sort of look like string.

We enlisted the help of my husband to put up a couple of hooks for us.  By the way, if you notice the moose cutting board hanging on the wall in the background, you will see the orange paint card under his chin.  I'm considering painting my kitchen wall that color.  I love it, but it's pretty bold.  It plays really well off my black and red appliances though, so I think I'm going to go for it.  It's a deep, dark, almost burnt orange, not as true orange as it looks in the photos (at least on my screen).

Back to the string.  This was our second attempt.  We made this one with a lighter string, for a smaller pot - which is surprisingly heavy considering it's size. It went much better than the first attempt.

My eight year old had to stand in the sink to hang this one.

I think it came out really nice.  And it was a lot of fun to work with my son on this project.  Right after this, we were looking at pinterest (where I found the directions to make the plant holder) and found a recipe for 2-ingredient cookies.  They are made with mashed bananas and oatmeal, and you can add whatever you want to them.  The eight year old begged to go to the store immediately so we could make these in the morning.  It was after 10 pm, but we made a quick run and picked up bananas and raisins.  I think cinnamon and raisins will be perfect in these cookies.  And the nice thing is, you can eat 8 cookies and you will have only had one banana and half a cup of oatmeal (and a handful of raisins.)  Sounds good to me ;)  We're going to try them out on the daycare kids in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment