"Lo, Children Are An Heritage of the LORD: and the Fruit of the Womb is His Reward" - Psalm 127:3

Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Allergen Free Pumpkin Pancakes and Roasted Pork


I've been doing a lot of reading lately about allergen free cooking and baking, and finally decided to dive in.  No better way to learn than on the fly, right? I checked my recipe books for a pancake recipe, but the only one I found had xanthan gum in it - which my one year old can't have because it's too close in form to corn syrup, and he's allergic to corn.  A substitute for that is guar gum, but I haven't had a chance to buy that yet, so I was stuck.  (And by the way, if you're looking to learn about this subject, this is the book you need - tons of information on what exactly each different ingredient does - how it interacts with the others, and the best uses for each thing).

But thanks to the book above, I know what each ingredient does and was able to wing it and come out with a decent recipe.  Now, I didn't measure anything, which is a big no-no in allergy free cooking as things seem to be pretty precise.  But here's what I came up with.  The measurements here are total guesswork.  But they're close...
1/2 cup of canned pumpkin
1/4 c. brown rice flour
1/4 c. sweet sorghum flour
2 T. flaxseed meal
2 T. tapioca starch
small handful of quick oats
1 or 2 T. cinnamon sugar
 water

So the process is really technical - ha.  I glopped a couple spoons full of pumpkin into the bottom of my bowl, sprinkled in all the dry ingredients, and added enough water to come to the same consistency that the pumpkin puree started out as.  This is not a pour-able pancake batter.  I spooned it onto a hot cast iron skillet and flipped when it looked ready.  They take longer than normal pancakes, so don't get too eager to flip them or they'll be doughy.  I tasted one, and it was pretty good.  The texture was right, and they held together well (which is a problem with cooking with all these odd flours).  They're so versatile too.  Next time I might substitute applesauce for the pumpkin, use maple syrup in place of the cinnamon sugar, add blueberries, raisins, or apple chunks.  We'll see.

I came across a great pork roast recipe too (ala Pinterest).  It calls for a pork picnic shoulder or ham - something with the skin still on it.  It bakes all day for at least 8 hours - until the meat is very tender - at 250 degrees.  Then it comes out of the oven, and rests tented with foil until you're close to time to eat.  Crank the heat in the oven to 500 degrees, remove the foil from the roast, and put it back in the oven for 5 minute intervals, rotating it so all the skin crisps up.  It bubbles up beautifully.  When this is done, remove it from the oven, tent with foil again and let it sit at least 15 minutes.  YUM.  Best pork roast I've ever made, and it's with the cheaper meat.  I have made this twice now, and each time we have the meal hot, then at least 2-3 more meals throughout the week using the same meat.  Very economical, and the meat stays moist the whole time.


I don't think I ever posted about the postcard our four year old sent is sister in college.  I didn't want to ruin the surprise for her, and then I forgot I had the pictures.  He sent this back in February.

He drew all the lines and I asked him what everything was.  I taped a post-it note over the place where her address went so that he wouldn't color there. Good thing.

I think it's hysterical that he identified two of the pictures as Dad, but one as his dad, and one as his brother's dad - lol.  The bottom one, above the signature he told me was a buffalo.  Duh.  See the faded out picture of the buffalo in the background.  He must have thought I was a real dunce for not knowing that was a buffalo - ha.

3 comments:

  1. i want to make this known to the entire world, i see many women complaining on not getting pregnant well let me tell you women on the best and safe method of get pregnant and deliver safely, i was 42 years old and i had been married since i was 22years I was not able to conceive my own child until i was browsing internet for a solution on how to get pregnant and i saw some comment of some women saying how they got pregnant that they contacted Odia Herbal Center and they got pregnant , i then decided to take a bold step because i was running out of time because i was already 42years old , i contacted Odia Herbal Center and the Odia the a pregnancy medicine for me and in the next month i took in i was pregnant and i gave birth to josh my son and now josh is doing very well and i also have a new born baby girl , my advice to other women is that you can contact Odia Herbal Center via email. odiaherbalcenter@yahoo.com or whatsapp: +1(518)502-5386

    ReplyDelete
  2. i never believed that their could be any complete cure for fibroid with out going for surgery ,i saw people’s testimony on blog sites and Facebook page of how Dr Omohan prepare herbal cure for different king of disease,and with the help of his herb they where able to shrink there fibroid naturally. i had to try it too and you can,t believe that in just few weeks i started using it all my pains stop gradually . Right now i want to tell you all that i just give birth to a baby boy last month,and on thin now i have not had any pain, and i have just went for text last week and the doctor confirmed that there is no trace of any fibroid in my system . Glory be to God for leading me to this great Dr omohan I am so happy as i am sharing this testimony. My advice to you all who thinks that their is no herbal cure for fibroid that is Not true ,just contact him and get cure throughhis email: dromohanherbalmedicine@gmail.com or whatsapp +2348164816038

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so happy for making the right choice by contacting Dr. Irosi who helped me in getting my ex back by casting a love spell on him. One of the best decision i ever made was contacting Dr. Irosi to help me get my lover back, I was life filled with happiness after i contacted Dr. Irosi because he didn't just bring my lover back to me he also made our love for each other more unique and superb. If you need to spice your relationship with more love and attention contact Dr. Irosi on his Email Address [drirosisolutioncenter@gmail.com], call or whatsapp him via his contact +2348118829771 and be happy just like i am, thanks Dr. Irosi for your great work.  

    ReplyDelete