"Lo, Children Are An Heritage of the LORD: and the Fruit of the Womb is His Reward" - Psalm 127:3

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Homemade Laundry Soap, Part II

Okay, so you're ready for the next step...

This is what your soap will look like in the morning.

Can you see how chunky this solid mass of gel is? I scooped out a piece for your to see.

The first time I made this, I was not prepared for this. I thought there was a mistake. So consider yourself warned.

What you will need to do now is mix this whole bucket up and break up the gel. This is not easy. This is where my barbecue flipper comes in handy. It is long enough to reach all the way to the bottom and it can work as a knife to cut through the gel. Get it all good and chunky. Then you're going to mix it with water and put it in your smaller laundry detergent container so it will be easier to use. I like to use a bowl with a pour spout to do this step. It's messy, so put your container in the sink.

Now for the bad news. Scoop out a bowl of soap from your bucket and break it into very small chunks - to the point of almost being smooth. How is this bad news? The best way I've found to do this is with your hands. It's slimy and gross, but very effective.
As you can probably see, there will still be a few chunks. That's okay, as long as they aren't too big. Pour it into your container.

Here you can see a chunk about to go into the container. Stop and break it up. These whiter chunks don't dissolve well in the container or the wash, but they're easy enough to break up at this point.

Add water. You want equal amounts of water and soap from the bucket. I usually do a bowl or two of soap, followed by a bowl of water. Use hot tap water to help the gel dissolve.

Continue adding water and soap until your container is full.

I have a very large dispensing style container that I prefer for this. It has a spout for pouring out the soap, and I don't have to refill as often. I'm not going to kid you - filling the bucket is not very fun. It's a hands-on project and it's important to mix the whole 5 gallon bucket before starting each time so you get an even mix of gel. It's kind of a pain. So a bigger container cuts back on how often you have to do this. Be sure to shake well before each use.

Well, there you have it. Use about 1/2 cup with a full large load. Pretty simple, even though it seems like I made it more difficult than necessary :) It will save you a ton of money.

No comments:

Post a Comment