"Lo, Children Are An Heritage of the LORD: and the Fruit of the Womb is His Reward" - Psalm 127:3

Thursday, September 30, 2010

Prickly Business

I spent about an hour and a half picking rose hips tonight.

Thankfully these spikey thorns are toward the bottom of the plants, away from the hips. On second thought, my legs aren't so thankful for that :(

The spot I picked from had literally millions of rose hips just waiting to be picked - perfect rosy crimson berries. I love the colors of nature - especially in the fall. God is Good!

I'm not sure whether you can tell or not, but these plants are all wild roses, loaded with rose hips, and just beyond that is a beautiful lake. This is my idea of a relaxing evening.

I felt a little guilty picking all these rose hips when I kept seeing chipmunks perched on rose bush branches, challenging me for the juicy treats. See the one in the middle of the picture? I saw at least 4 different chipmunks and heard several more. It felt a bit like I was robbing their pantry, but then like I said, there are literally millions of these out there, most of which are out of my reach anyway. Feast away Chip and Dale!

I was a bit disappointed in how many berries I ended up with. This is a bigger bowl than it looks in the picture, but still, after being able to grab handfuls of chokecherries and Oregon grapes, rose hip picking seems tedious. It's mostly one berry at a time ... that is, unless you enjoy acupuncture.

I can't complain too loudly though. This fall has been very productive berry-wise. Now we're off to a busy weekend. My in-laws have a couple loads of firewood that need to be split and stacked, we're going to put in a sidewalk and rock their parking space, make jelly and syrup, and somewhere in there make a trip for groceries in a town 100 miles away. Oh, and I don't think I've mentioned it, but I got the crazy idea to take online college classes, so I'm in the middle of a semester with loads of homework on top of my already packed schedule. That explains the lack of crafting lately. But I'm on the upswing with that. I ordered an assortment of felt to use with one of my newest books - Fa La La La Felt. Great book by the way. I'll have to do a post on it when I get my felt in.

No comments:

Post a Comment