"Lo, Children Are An Heritage of the LORD: and the Fruit of the Womb is His Reward" - Psalm 127:3

Thursday, October 2, 2014

Soggy and Cold

 We've had the wettest autum I ever remember.  And I'm hearing the same thing from a lot of "old-timers."  It's hard to tell that we live in a high plains desert. It has rained hard for several days now, and we've had some snow.

 My potted plants are completely waterlogged.

 We had some hail a couple different times. Thankfully it was tiny and didn't amount to anything.

 Our yard has been completely saturated to the point where no more water would soak in.

 The mountains have gotten quite a bit of snow too, but it melts away pretty fast in the lower hills.  Yesterday it was snowing here at the house - sideways thanks to the wind - hard enough we couldn't see the meadow in front of our house.  I sent the ten year old to grab the camera and by the time he got back it had stopped.  Crazy weather.

 Most days, this is what my view has been - clouds and rain.

 There are big puddles in the field by our house.

 I love the way the clouds hang low over the lakes in the distance.



 And we could still see the beautiful fall colors on the hillside.

 This is a horse pasture not far from our house. The creek was flooded.

Last night the ten year old had his football "jamboree" - that's where they play 8 plays on offense, and 8 plays on defense against each team, starting on the 30 yard line.  Then they each take a turn at playing defense on the 10 yard line, one play against each team.  The sky was threatening, but thankfully it didn't rain.

 But it was extremely cold.  My son (#75) wore a hoodie under his jersey, and a stocking cap under his helmet.

His coach - crouching in the center of the huddle - wore snowpants, and many of the spectators came in snow gear.

They played well, but I froze to death.  The temperature was in the low 40's, and the wind was blowing.  With all the dampness in the air, it was C-O-L-D.  I had a stomach ache - literally aching in my ribs - from being tense and shivering.  This week is homecoming here.  Last year we had heavy snow for the parade.  Hope that doesn't happen again.  And the youth football kids get introduced at the varsity game, so I'm hoping the weather will be decent for that.  I'd settle for no wind.

No comments:

Post a Comment