"Lo, Children Are An Heritage of the LORD: and the Fruit of the Womb is His Reward" - Psalm 127:3

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Looks Like a Duck, Quacks Like a Duck, Tastes Like a Pigeon

Okay, so I've never actually tasted a pigeon. Who knows, if it tastes like quail, it could be a really good thing. My point was that dinner looked and smelled like Pizza, but tasted more like biscuits. Here's what we had...

It started with 3 1/2 cups of Bisquick mixed with a cup of milk. I was actually about a cup short on the Bisquick, so I mixed in some flour before adding the milk. It worked well, and I think I've discovered a way to make my Bisquick go farther ;)

I used my cookie scoop to scoop out lumps of dough into a greased 9x13.

Then I poured a jar of pizza sauce over the dough balls.

I added pepperoni and a generous amount of mozzarella cheese...

then added mushrooms and black olives.

I baked it at 375 for 30 minutes (we're over 7,000 ft. elevation. If you're lower, you might need less cooking time).

YUM! Even though it didn't taste like normal pizza, it was very good. I think regular pizza is much better, but if you don't have time to make regular dough, this is a good alternative. On a scale of 1-5 we rated this 3.5 to 4. Not outstanding, and somewhat dry because the biscuits swell so much. I think it would have been better with regular dough balls - sort of like monkey bread. But like I said, when you don't have time to make bread dough, this is a good quick alternative. One bonus was that it is very filling. It stretched our pizza toppings so that we didn't need as much pepperoni and such. I don't think it makes much difference whether you drop scoops of dough in the pan or press it flat. The biscuit dough tends to suck up the moisture of the pizza sauce though, so don't skimp on the sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment