"Lo, Children Are An Heritage of the LORD: and the Fruit of the Womb is His Reward" - Psalm 127:3

Saturday, June 15, 2013

.22 County Shoot & a A Book Inspired Dinner

We've had a pretty fun week.  Wednesday was the nine year old's 4-H .22 county shoot.  This is is final county shoot for they year.  First he had the air rifle competition, which he got a purple ribbon in, then the archery shoot, where he was reserve champion (second place), and then the .22 competition this week.

He was pretty nervous about the .22 competition because he's missed a few of the practices and he felt like it was his worst skill area.  Bugga and Papa took him to the competition because I had a house full of daycare kids and his dad had to sleep so he would be ready to go to work.  He came home with this...

Grand champion - 1st place :)

So in the end he was glad on two counts.  He was glad I had made him go, and he was glad that this ribbon wasn't pink - ha.  He actually scored really low, but it was extremely windy and nobody did well.


Our library's summer reading program has started so we are reading even more than usual.

A friend had a yard sale this weekend and called to let me come browse everything before the sale.  So Thursday night we went up and ended up buying a big stack of Garfield comics.

The nine year old has about finished them all already, I think.  So I shouldn't have been surprised when he told me he was really hungry for lasagna. :)

So last night we had lasagna and garlic bread.


Oh yeah... and rhubarb apple crisp with ice cream.  YUM

I didn't follow a recipe for this - just chopped up some rhubarb and apples, tossed them with brown and white sugar and a bit of flour and cinnamon, then covered them with a mixture of brown sugar, oatmeal, cinnamon and butter, and baked it for about 45 minutes.


After dinner, the boys used the portable dvd player to watch one of the Cars movies while my daughter and I watched The Boy in the Striped Pajamas on Netflix.  I read the book about a month ago.  The movie was good, but somewhat different from the book, and I always think the book is better.

So that's what we've been up to this week.  That and daycare. I also mowed our huge lawn Thursday night.  My husband usually does that, but he's worked a ton of hours this week, so I did it this time.  It took me about 2 hours. It's been very warm here for our part of Wyoming.  It's not uncommon to have snow in June here, but it doesn't look like that's going to happen this year.  I just hope this doesn't mean that July and August will be unbearably hot.  Nobody here has air conditioning.

 Oh, and because I forgot to post these the other day, here's what we've been having for dinner all week ;)  Two full meals and leftovers.  Gotta love a man who can bring home the bacon... or in this case, trout ;)

Not bad when you can catch a fish the size of your youngest child ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment