"Lo, Children Are An Heritage of the LORD: and the Fruit of the Womb is His Reward" - Psalm 127:3

Friday, June 21, 2013

Rhubarb Upside Down Cake


Well, I'm still at it with the rhubarb. This was the last of the rhubarb I had from my mother-in-law.  I'm still waiting for mine to get big enough to pick.

 I thought I'd try a variation of pineapple upside-down cake, using rhubarb in place of the pineapple.  So I melted a stick of butter, added some brown sugar, and chopped up the rest of the rhubarb.  I didn't measure anything, but I would guess I used somewhere around a cup of brown sugar and maybe 4-6 cups of rhubarb.  I pressed it into the bottom of a 9x13.  Then I cheated and mixed together a boxed yellow cake mix and poured that on top.  I shouldn't have used the boxed mix.  It really wasn't that great, and it was the cake part that I didn't care for.  Just not a lot of flavor.

 Anyway I baked it as instructed on the box, and flipped it as soon as it came out of the oven.  It would have been good if I had made cake from scratch.

I served it hot with ice cream, which greatly improved the end result. :D

We've had terrible wind lately.  I mean crazy terrible wind.  It ripped down our garage cover that we put up over the bikes and strollers.  It was one of those structures made of metal poles and a tarp roof.  Thankfully it didn't damage it.  We just have to start over from scratch putting it up again, which I haven't had time to do yet.  We lost several limbs from our trees too, but thankfully nothing too large.  Just a mess to clean up.

 My flowers look like they've been through a tornado.  It dried them all out and some are knocked over.  This red one did okay though.  I have no idea what it is because it was there already, but it's really pretty.

 It has tulip/bell shaped flowers on it. Very bright red, and it seems to be pretty hardy.



Self-Contained Unit
Yesterday was "Take-Your-Nine-Year-Old-to-Work" Day ... at least it was for my husband and son :)  What a fun time they had!  My husband had to drive his hydrovac truck to Rock Springs to get new tires put on it, and got permission to take our son along for the ride.  He was thrilled.  He really had a great time. :)

Last night the UPS truck brought me the new bike I ordered for myself.  My four year old wanted to open it right away, but I thought it would be better to keep it sealed until I have time to put it together.  He kept saying "Open that little Mommy bike!"  He thought it was all put together inside the box ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment