"Lo, Children Are An Heritage of the LORD: and the Fruit of the Womb is His Reward" - Psalm 127:3

Monday, June 3, 2013

May Reading and April Stats

I'm still not back up to speed on my reading yet.  Too much unpacking and such to do.  I only made it through 5 books this month again.
 
I read:
Daughter of Fortune by Isabelle Allende (evening book club at our local library)
Little Bee by Chris Cleave (to be discussed tomorrow at the daytime book club at our library)
The Kitchen House by Kathleen Grissom (one of my online book clubs)
Miss Dreamsville and the Collier County Women's Literary Society by Amy Hill
The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne

I have not seen the movie for The Boy in the Striped Pajamas, and after reading the book, I need some time before I'll be ready to.  Sad.  It feels like I've read a LOT of holocaust books this year, but when I went back to count, there have actually only been three - all in the past two months.  That goes to show how heavy that reading subject is.  It is my favorite time period to read about, but definitely depressing.  I think it's that I've read a lot of depressing books. Call me strange, but I like reading depressing books.

Anyway, in the month of May, I read a total of 1,515 pages, and 5 1/2 inches.

I couldn't find my book that I record my reading in last month in the chaos of the move, so now that I've located it, here are April's stats:
I read 5 books:
The Book Thief by Markus Zusak (one of my favorite books of the year)
My Brother's Book by Maurice Sendak (L.A.M.E.)
Stones From the River by Ursula Hegi (excellent)
The Samurai's Garden by Gail Tsukiyami (another of my favorites from the year)
The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald

Total inches for April - 5 1/4
Total pages for April - 1,453

So, for the entire year, I've read
34 books
37 3/4 inches
9,276 pages

My original goal was to read a book a week, and my "light" reading months of April and May even managed to keep up with that. I'm actually 11 books (or weeks) ahead of my goal ;)

 For those of you who might be curious, here's a peek at my reading journal.

I love the format of this, and if I counted correctly, there are pages for 52 books, which is my goal for the year (which it appears I will surpass well before the end of the year - maybe within the next couple of months).  There are prompts for all the vital info for the book - title, author, date published, category (fiction, non-fiction, etc), date started, date ended, and stars to fill in my own rating of the book.  The blanks at the bottom of the right side are for subjects this book inspired me to read about, and the other side is just for notes.  That's where I typically write my general impression of the book.  (This entry is for the first book of June, which I just finished the other day.)

At the top left page, I write the total inches of the book I just read, with my running total under that.  

Above the notes section on the right hand page, I write the number of pages from the book, along with the running total of pages read.  I really like this system, and plan to order another book like this when I get close to filling this one... which technically could be any day now.  I only have room for 19 more books ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment