"Lo, Children Are An Heritage of the LORD: and the Fruit of the Womb is His Reward" - Psalm 127:3

Friday, February 7, 2014

Homeschool Group Activity: Wheat

 My cold has been kicking my butt.  I've been taking lots of naps.  This morning, I woke up to find a friend napping next to me.  He never naps in the mornings, so I was surprised.  I see he brought his football. ;)

I hope he's not getting my cold.  He never naps in the morning.

This afternoon we headed to town to meet with a group of homeschool friends to learn about wheat - everything from how it is grown and harvested, to the different things we use it for.  We dropped the two year old off at Bugga's so he wouldn't be around the wheat he is allergic to.  It's too bad though, he would have had a lot of fun.

This was a great tactile activity for the five year old. He enjoyed the feel of the wheat and just kept running his hand through it.

The kids got a chance to grind their own wheat. I think everyone appreciated electricity after that exercise.  They had such a good time with it though.

There was a station for art - putting glue on a card and covering it with wheat.

The nine year old made an elk picture.

 It didn't come out as well as he hoped. The glue kind of shifted around and spread out more than he wanted it to.

Still better than I could have done.  Pretty good abstract art in my opinion - (you know, my totally unbiased opinion).

 They also had dough they could play with - just basic bread dough.

The five year old spent a lot of time at this station.



The nine year old wanted to try his hand at tossing pizza dough.

Apparently it's a very stressful activity.

He thought he was getting better at it on the second try... that is, until it flew across the table and hit me.

The third time was the charm.  It was fun anyway.  Now he has decided he wants to make cinnamon rolls, so maybe we'll do that tomorrow.  We've had quite a bit of snow today, so it would be a good time to stay inside with some warm baked goods :)  (actually I can't think of a bad time for warm baked goods - ha).

No comments:

Post a Comment