"Lo, Children Are An Heritage of the LORD: and the Fruit of the Womb is His Reward" - Psalm 127:3

Monday, February 24, 2014

They Can't Get Rid of Us ;)

After burning 45 minutes at the library this afternoon, we were back for more.  The two little ones and I went back for another hour this evening to wait for the nine year old who was at a 4H meeting.  It's kindof bad when you walk in and the first thing the librarian says is, "I thought you were here already today."  She was just giving me a hard time though.  The librarians are all so nice.  I love visiting with them.  Someday I may join their ranks ... after the boys are grown.

 Anyway it was for a good cause.  I love 4H.  Our nine year old has had so many good experiences and opportunities.  Just this month he was the chairman of the committee for "Hero Packs" - a project that gathered donation items to be put into backpacks for kids in Wyoming whose parents are active duty military.  That duty included hosting a meeting for the committee, coming up with fund raising ideas and visiting local businesses to ask for donations.  He also worked on the Share the Love food drive, did a presentation instructing his club members how to draw an elk, practiced with the archery and air rifle clubs, and took care of his role as recreation director (he's basically the game director for each meeting).  I'm glad he has the opportunity to participate in such an in-depth way.

My philosophy on extracurricular activities has changed over the years.  I used to think more time at home was better.  I don't necessarily think more running around is better, but I do think it is good to allow the kids to explore the things they are passionate about.  I've been doing a lot of meditating lately on the idea of pursuing passions.  So much of what I've read or heard about to help our five year old with autism, as well as learning from homeschoolers who have had amazing levels of success centers around pursuing wholeheartedly and in great depth the things the child is passionate about.  Like I said, I've been meditating on that lately.  Stewing, really.  Like a simmering crock pot.  I haven't come to the end of that yet, so it's hard to put it into words, but there you have it.  That's what's been on my mind lately.  We'll see where it takes us.

2 comments: