"Lo, Children Are An Heritage of the LORD: and the Fruit of the Womb is His Reward" - Psalm 127:3

Thursday, April 7, 2011

A Rough Day :(

I've had a rough day ... or two. Remember in my last post I told you I was writing in the middle of the night? Well, I only got about 4 hours of sleep all that night. I've been battling a bad cold with heavy head congestion since Sunday night, and was fairly miserable. So, I was wishing I could just get to where the congestion wasn't bothering me so much. I got up with a resolve to get a lot of things done. Then, picked up the two year old and swung him around to put him on the changing table... That's when my back went into spasms and locked up. I hollered for the 18 year old to come get him. I was frozen in place, with him in mid-air, and if I tried to put him on the changing table or set him down, my back would go into spasms. For the rest of the day, I couldn't stand up straight, and trying to get out of bed was a particular challenge - especially given the issue of the number of times a pregnant person needs to get up in the middle of the night. But on the bright side, I forgot all about my cold symptoms :/ Obviously not being able to move without excruciating pain put a damper on my to-do list. It did help to take a hot shower last night, and this morning, icing it has helped some. I think it's starting to straighten out. I haven't hurt my back like that in years.

But today's a new day, right? Except that today, I got a call from my doctor saying my labs came back great ... no gestational diabetes this time! ... but I am anemic. So, now I have to take iron and vitamin C twice a day for that, along with my prenatal vitamin (but not at the same time) - so pills to swallow three times each day. It could be worse. I'm really glad I missed out on the gestational diabetes!!

On another note, everything around here seems to be breaking. Remember we just replaced our washing machine? Well, now the dryer died. And it was fairly new - I think maybe 6-8 years old. And then my iron gave out, and the Excursion is running funny. And before Father's Day we need to replace the motor on the boat that we hit a rock with last year... and so on. Oh, yeah, and the three brothers I watch in my daycare? They won't be coming anymore because their mom quit her job. Not being able to get any more overtime made paying me $1500/month impossible. So, there goes over half of my income. Argh. When it rains it pours, I guess. Honestly, though, I'm not that upset. The Lord has always provided, and will continue to do so. In fact, He already is, through all of this. The house we are in came with a dryer provided that we have kept in the garage, so all we had to do was switch them out. I was able to get a pretty decent new iron on sale for $20. The Excursion has only acted up a few times, and though we intended to check into it before now, we at least have been able to run it 99% of the time without any issues at all. And the boys really are better off with their mom at home (as is everyone's children). So really, I'm very happy for them. Plus the bonus that it lightens my load and allows me more time to focus on my own children. So see? It's all a matter of perspective. My cold seems much better today, as does my back, so soon enough it'll all be back to normal... whatever that is. Be Happy!! It's a choice :)

4 comments:

  1. Aw, I'm so sorry your day hasn't been good. My hubby gets back spasms too...He finds lying on his stomach on the floor helps a little...Though that wouldn't work being pregnant! Lol. Maybe some crafting would help lift the heart?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sarah - I'm doing a little better today, and finally felt up to sitting at the sewing machine. I actually accomplished quite a bit this afternoon, and my mood is much improved, even if my back still hurts a little :)

    Thanks for the idea about lying on the floor. I'll have to wait until after the baby to try the stomach. I do find that it is better when I can lie flat and stretch out, but then I have a terrible time getting back up without more spasms. I haven't had a problem with it for several years, so hopefully this will pass quickly and not continue long term.

    ReplyDelete
  3. By the way Sarah, I've really enjoyed reading your blog and seeing things from a first-hand perspective in relation to the earthquake. I loved the quote you shared a day or two ago. And I think you were smart to just say "enough," and move on. I've been praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks! Sometimes it feels easier just to mope and let the chaos of around you take over you - but it's not good. I'm definately better! God is really good :) Thank you for your kind comments :)

    ReplyDelete