"Lo, Children Are An Heritage of the LORD: and the Fruit of the Womb is His Reward" - Psalm 127:3

Friday, February 3, 2012

Playing Cards & a Solution to My Frustration

 Have you ever tried to play cards while holding an octopus?  If not, this ought to give you some idea how it might go.





 As for my frustration yesterday about never being able to get it done, I finally decided that I just need to get over it and do the best I can.  I need to think outside the box.  So I strapped on the baby holder (the side sling I was wearing the other day), made a template out of a diet pepsi box, and used a pen to trace around it onto some flannel. I layered the fabrics right sides together so they are all ready to sew - no lining up when I get a minute to run these through the machine. 

 I've been needing to make some new bibs.  The daycare requires a lot of them, and the old ones were looking horrible.  We went out to dinner the other night and I couldn't find one I wanted to be seen in public with, so I knew it was time to do something about it.  But like everything, it's been on my to-do list for months.  Today I decided just to dive in.

 The baby didn't care for being stuck in the side carrier while I was using both my hands rather than snuggling him, so after I cut the first few out one-handed, I switched him over to the Bumbo.  Much better! 

 He even had a little entertainment on the side.

 I ended up with 26 bibs cut and ready to sew.  I wish I could say this would get us through the week so we could just wash them once a week, but it's not even close.  We go through about twice that many in a week, especially if you figure in my two on the weekends.  For super messy meals like spaghetti, I just put a shirt on each of them.  I picked up a stack of about 20 at the thrift store for just that reason. 

 I've decided to change my approach to the whole "I can't seem to get anything done" issue.  Instead of getting frustrated about not having time to do a whole project, I am going to look at each project in steps. For instance, I may not have time to complete the bibs, but I can cut them out while watching the kids play on the other side of the counter.  At least I'm getting one step closer to completing things.  Looking at it in steps rather than the whole project helps me feel like I *completed* something.  I completed step 1.  Now I'm free to move onto the next thing (assuming of course that I make a point eventually of getting back to this project to truly complete it lol).


So here the bibs sit, waiting to be chain stitched.  I love chain stitching, don't you.  I always feel like I'm so fast.  I'm hoping I can get a chance to sew these during nap time, depending on whether everyone really sleeps.  But if not, I'll try to sit down over the weekend and finish them up.  Then I'm going to throw away all the grungy old ones!

No comments:

Post a Comment