"Lo, Children Are An Heritage of the LORD: and the Fruit of the Womb is His Reward" - Psalm 127:3

Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Time for Summer Reading

 The local library kicked off their summer reading program with a special storyteller yesterday.  He goes by the name of "Indiana Bones".  The kids enjoyed him.  I took my older daycare kids, along with my eight year old and three year old.  It was an interesting program, but a little long - especially for the younger ones.  They are going to have something special each week.  I'm not sure how many of those programs I will try to take the daycare kids to.  Some are geared toward older kids.  But I want to get them to as many as possible.

 After the program we went into the kids' section of the library.  We needed to turn in our reading record sheets.  Every kid that reads at least 100 minutes gets a star on the board, then at the end of the program, they will put all the stars into a bucket and draw one name to win a Kindle Fire.  I wish they would stick with books for the kids though, as most of them will just play games on the kindle anyway rather than reading.  Can you tell my three year old loves the teddy bear in the children's room?

See him cuddled up in the lap of the bear?  They have a padded bench that goes all the way around the corner - probably 10 feet in each direction, with lots of pillows and a few extra large stuffed animals (including a dinosaur the three year old is convinced is a turtle).  They also have a dress up box, and usually when we walk in, the three year old will head straight for that and tell us, "Get my hat!"  He always wears a cowboy hat that reminds me of the one Woody wears in Toy Story.  Then, he'll say, "Now where's my turtle?!"  This week he was all about the bear.

It's funny what will attract a kid to a library.  When I was little, we lived in the farmland of Nebraska, and our library had a carpeted claw-foot bath tub with pillows in it, where you could sit to read.  If I ever have a library in my own home, I'm going to have one of those tubs ... just for old times' sake :)  I still love the idea of it :)

No comments:

Post a Comment