"Lo, Children Are An Heritage of the LORD: and the Fruit of the Womb is His Reward" - Psalm 127:3

Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Thanksgiving Dinner

 I know I'm a little late posting this, so bear with me while I catch up.  We had a wonderful Thanksgiving visit with my Mom, and my sister and her family.  Dinner was as awesome as ever.  In addition to turkey, we had green bean casserole, stuffing, mashed potatoes and gravy, sweet potatoes, a relish tray and rolls.  Mom's sweet potato recipe is super easy.  Just cheat and drain a can of sweet potatoes, then add liberal amounts of brown sugar, butter and marshmallows and bake until hot.  The marshmallows make a real sticky sauce that is heavenly.

The crescent rolls were fancy thanks to a commercial we saw a couple days before Thanksgiving.  You start by unrolling a tube of crescent roll dough, spread cream cheese on it, then sprinkle with bacon, chives and grated cheddar.  Roll them up and slice them like cinnamon rolls.  Bake like normal - but maybe a couple minutes longer.  Just keep an eye on them.  They were amazing.  Note though that one roll of dough makes 16 rolls, so don't overdo it.  They're only really good fresh from the oven.

 This is one of the pies from my childhood.  It's called bittersweet pie, and it's incredible.  Unfortunately I had typed out the recipe but the computer failed to save my draft of this post (so this is my second attempt).  Anyway, I'll add the recipe later because it is really worth trying - and it's pretty easy too.

We added a streusel topping to our pumpkin pie this year and I think that's how I'm always going to make it from now on.  It's just a combination of brown sugar, a little flour, and pecans with butter cut in (add the pecans after cutting the butter in).  When your pumpkin pie only has 10 minutes or so left to back, add the streusel topping and finish baking.  It was amazingly good.
 
Anyway, we had a great time visiting with my family.  It was nice to be there for a week.  Unfortunately we didn't get as much visiting in as we would have liked.  My boys were all sick the first day we were there, and then my sister's family came down with it on the last couple days, so we missed about 3 1/2 days with them.  We've both decided that we all need to load up on vitamins before the next visit - lol.

No comments:

Post a Comment