"Lo, Children Are An Heritage of the LORD: and the Fruit of the Womb is His Reward" - Psalm 127:3

Thursday, March 31, 2011

A Day (or Three) of Spring!

WooHoo!! We're celebrating Spring! or at least Spring-like weather for a day or two.

It is the warmest today it's been all year so far. We're clear up to 41* but it feels like 60. We've had the side door open all afternoon (on the south side of the house) and it doesn't feel any cooler than the house ... though Dad would say that's just because we keep our house frigid ;)

We still have a ton of snow in the yard - almost 3 feet in the back corner which doesn't get much sun. And where it is melting, we have ponds (see foreground, next to the castle). So we still can't do much playing outside with the daycare kids. I am going to get them outside for a bit today when they get up after naptime. Can't waste a day like today.

Tomorrow and Saturday are supposed to be just as nice. I had to laugh though at the forecast. Weatherbug says, "Cloudy. Chance of snow in the morning...then rain likely in the afternoon. Little or no snow accumulation. Highs 43 to 47. Chance of precipitation 60 percent. Snow and rain likely in the evening...then snow likely after midnight. Light snow accumulations. Lows in the lower to mid 20s. Chance of precipitation 70 percent." So, yeah, Springtime in the Rockies!

Last night, hubby got home from work about 10 minutes before church was to start - so of course he was a filthy mess and couldn't go. My daughter and I decided to go, and leave him to babysit. The 7 year old has a bad cold, and there is no nursery for the Wednesday night service, so the 2 year old stayed home too.

This is what I came home to. Three of a kind. This is their "watching a movie" routine. Tonight it was videotaped reruns from the history channel. This is a real treat for them. We canceled our television service a long time ago, and not only do we not miss it, I don't think we could stand to have it anymore. Such a time waster! And all the noise, and lack of communication. Ugh. So glad we got rid of it.

They do enjoy their occasional movies - or "moofies" as the two year old calls them. It's quite a production. Everyone has to have blankets and pillows, and the two year old doesn't do anything without at least one stuffed dog. At least he chose the one that fits into the chair this time.

I've made great progress on my baby afghan. I've been impressed with how far a skein of yarn will go. This is how far I got before my first skein of brown ran out. The blue is close to gone too. But wow. This is half done, not including the border. I'm definitely going to have some yarn to return or exchange when I'm done. I bought 4 skeins of each color, and I think two will finish the body of the quilt. I'll probably need part of another for the border, but still, wow.

So far it measures about 29 inches wide and 20 inches long. I think if I do another skein of each color, that should be about perfect - somewhere around 40 inches, which I think is plenty. Then with the border, it should gain a couple inches in width too, and finish nicely. I LOVE this pattern. Once I got it figured out, it has worked up so easily. I think I'm gonna have to make another one of these for my someday box. I think red, pink and white would be a pretty combination for this design. We'll see. Lots of other projects to finish first.

Speaking of other projects, I dug out some scrap fabrics to test out my diaper bag pattern on. It's not the most beautiful stuff, but it was what I had on hand. I'm not going to go all out on this - just do enough to make sure the pattern measurements work out. I probably won't even make a lining. If it all looks like it will work, I'll get going on the real one. This is such a simple bag, and doesn't really take much fabric. I didn't have a clue how much I would need when I ordered my giraffe and polka dot fabrics, so I'm sure I have way more than I need. But then, there are always accessories to be made ;)

Each evening I've also done a few hexagons too. I'm averaging 12-20 of them a night. I honestly have no clue how many I'm going to need for a finished quilt. A bunch, that's for sure. I guess it would help to know whether I'm making a baby quilt or a king sized one, but I just don't know yet. It will depend on how long the hexagon craze continues. So far, it shows no signs of going away!

No comments:

Post a Comment