"Lo, Children Are An Heritage of the LORD: and the Fruit of the Womb is His Reward" - Psalm 127:3

Sunday, June 12, 2011

A Packed Saturday

So Saturday was supposed to be a nice, quiet, uneventful day. All I had planned was to pick up my fruits and veggies from the co-op. Instead, I ended up on my feet most of the day.

My husband took the 20 year old and 7 year old fishing. They didn't catch anything, but had a nice time trying. My daughter and I ran out to the lake at the end of the day to see how they had done (and to get the 2 year old to take a nap). Most of the pictures in this post are from the fishing trip.

While the guys fished, my daughter, the 2 year old and I went to an open house at the local Polaris shop. We are not Polaris fans - my husband's uncle owned the Yamaha dealership before he died, so none of the family thinks much of Polaris. But, they were giving away a lot of great prizes, and had free food... and my daughter has a couple of good friends who work there, so we went over.

They had hourly drawings for kids and adults. My two year old was called for two hourly drawings, and won two hats. I guess he'll have a Father's Day gift now. None of the rest of us won anything. We did have an incredible meal there - bbq brisket and the most amazing ribs, and all the trimmings.

After that we ran to the thrift store to look for onesies. We hit the jackpot. There weren't a lot of plain white ones, which is what I really wanted, but I bought 44 items for $11. I did get lots of good stuff, and enough white and light-colored onesies that will work. I also picked up a few other little outfits, another book (big surprise, right?) and a bassinet sheet. Each item was only 25 cents!

Speaking of bassinet sheets, I hadn't even thought about needing those. I'm going to have to whip out a few of them this week. (This is the first time I have used a bassinet, so it didn't even occur to me. We don't have enough room to set up another crib, and I don't even have a low flat spot to put a dresser drawer other than on the floor. I didn't think that seemed too safe with the other little people in our home, so I bought a used bassinet a few months ago for $5.)

After the quick stop at the thrift store, we headed over to pick up our fruits and veggies. We only have a 20 minute window when we can pick them up. And we had to be back to the Polaris store within 45 minutes to try to win the major prizes - a Stihl chainsaw, Toro mower, and Polaris RZR (3 separate winners). We made it back in time for the drawing, and just as they were starting the announcements, it started pouring rain and hailing. We stood in the pouring rain for half an hour while they did all their announcements and thank you's. We didn't win anything either. Boo.

After the rain storm, we tried to get the two year old to take a nap, but he wasn't going for it, so we thought we would go check out a new nursery and pick up some flowers. When we got there, they were closed, but the two year old was asleep. So we went to pick up a milkshake, and drove out to see the guys at the lake. It was cold and really windy out there, and neither of us had a jacket. My daughter borrowed a hoodie from her brother. We didn't stay long, but then neither did the guys. They hadn't caught anything, and it was about 7 pm, so they came home right after us.

Our 20 year old is heading back to his base this week, so we splurged and went out for dinner at Half Moon Lake. Back in February we won a $50 gift certificate to the restaurant from the ice fishing derby, so we used that. We had a wonderful dinner, and the scenery was gorgeous. It was a great day, but very long, and certainly not restful. And I didn't get a stitch of sewing done. But it was all worth it. I love family weekends!

Here are some pictures. My daughter and 7 year old had to check out a major ant hill. They were giant sized ants.

The fishing looked pretty restful. It's nice to get a couple pictures of the 20 year old without his hand in front of the lens. He hates having his picture taken (but then will take silly self-portraits, so I'm not sure how all that works.)

Anyway, it's good to have some normal pictures of him, even if they are from the back :)

The seven year old practiced his casting, and even figured out how to switch hooks on his own. He's getting to be a pretty good fisherman, but still spent more time with the line out of the water than in it.

My daughter enjoyed walking "in" the water with her very tall flip-flops - they probably have 2 inches of foam, so she didn't get her feet wet. She did that and explored all the dead fish on shore.

Sorry for the icky picture. All around the lake there are dead fish carcasses. We were seeing them about every 50 feet along the shore. Not sure why, but they're pretty big fish.

These flowers are growing all over the place. I don't know what kind they are but they remind me of phlox. They grow really low in little clumps, with tons of flowers. And there are purple ones too. I'll have to look up what they are. They would be pretty in our yard, and maintenance free too. I'm planning a wildflower garden for our front yard at the new house. Something that doesn't require a lot of watering or maintenance... Someday.

By the end of the day, we were all pretty worn out.

See what I mean? It was a good day!

No comments:

Post a Comment