"Lo, Children Are An Heritage of the LORD: and the Fruit of the Womb is His Reward" - Psalm 127:3

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Big Smiles, & Embroidery Sampler Progress

Look!! Real smiles! And big ones too! I grabbed the camera when I saw that he started smiling as soon as I walked into view. When I would talk to him, the smile would grow to what you see here. I love it when you know for sure that the smile is in response to you. :) Such a sweet little guy!

I'm really enjoying my time with him. He's getting so alert and responsive.

He's even paying attention to toys for the first time.

Love that little tongue sticking out! He does that a lot.

So many pictures I had to include tonight!

Hey look at this! I actually got some sewing time today - embroidery, that is. I started working on the sampler this afternoon. It doesn't look like much, but it took quite a bit longer than I expected. I'm finding that I'm pretty rusty at this. Not to mention that I really only ever knew one stitch - the stem stitch. I didn't even know that was the name of it - or for that matter, that it even had a name - until this week. That is the stitch my Grandma R taught me when I was little, and that's the only one I ever used. It didn't occur to me that other people might choose to use another stitch - ha. So doing a stitch sampler is a pretty steep learning curve for me. I mean, I didn't even know the back stitch, which seems to be everyone's go-to stitch. I had done French knots before, but not ever very well, but I'm finding them pretty easy. And the chain stitch came back to me quickly, despite the fact that I hadn't used either of these stitches since I was a kid. I'm finding that my favorite though, is the split stitch, which there isn't even a square for on the sampler. Go figure. I wanted to use it for my lettering, but tried it on a test piece, and it was too heavy. The words just looked like blobs. I thought about reducing my floss to one strand, and then it occurred to me that it would be awfully difficult to "split" one strand ... impossible, actually - ha. Guess I was having a blonde moment. (Yea, I could really use some sleep!)

I do have to say though that I was really worried about the lettering. It is TINY (is that an oxymoron or what - writing "tiny" in all caps? - ha). No kidding though. I put a pencil by it so you can see how tiny it is. And it has curvy lettering too, making it a nightmare. Anyway, I'm getting to very slowly practice my itty bitty back stitching now. Yikes. And not real pretty either. I found that I am definitely going to have to go back and mark those letters darker. I have perfect eyesight, but even with an Ottlite, I couldn't see them half the time. Maybe I can get that done tomorrow. Like I mentioned, it's time for bed ... well, for feeding the baby, and then bed ... if I don't fall asleep in the chair while I'm feeding the baby... Hmm. Probably gonna have a stiff neck tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment