"Lo, Children Are An Heritage of the LORD: and the Fruit of the Womb is His Reward" - Psalm 127:3

Saturday, August 20, 2011

What Not To Eat When Breastfeeding

I seriously considered titling this post "Mama's an IDIOT".

So, my normally happy, cheerful, quiet, never-fussy-without-a-good-reason baby had a very rough day yesterday.

I could tell he just wasn't feeling well. He was spitting up, his tummy was hard, and he cried. A lot. I couldn't figure out what was wrong with him. Finally, I asked my husband to help me remember what we had had for dinner the night before. Fish, rice and corn. Hmm. Nothing troubling there. Then he remembered that we had walked to a convenience store... OOPS.

See what I did to my sweet little child? UGH! You would think that by the time I get around to nursing my FIFTH child, I would be more conscious of the fact that certain foods don't sit well with baby's tummies. DUH. I'm pretty sure any sane person would have considered the fact that if the food has the words "molten hot" in the title, they're probably not going to be a good choice for baby! In my defense, this child is remarkably tolerant of everything I eat. I have only noticed problems with horseradish (which I LOVE and am practically addicted to - not exaggerating). I suspected MSG from Chinese food, but can't be sure that it wasn't broccoli, which my other kids have been intolerant of, or the hot mustard, which is very horseradishy. Anyway, as if the spice of these chips wasn't enough, when I read the ingredients, I found that they also contain MSG. So, I'm not sure whether it was the heat of the chips or the MSG, but (DUH) I won't be eating these for the next year. Poor baby :( Stupid Mama :/

PS. Chamomile tea really seemed to help...

No comments:

Post a Comment